Marriage poem after almost thirteen years

Thirteen years ago my frog prince and I paraded out of the church hand in hand as husband and wife. 

Here's a little poem to celebrate:




children sleeping
dishes drying
laundry folding
summer planning
my family
          your family
                    our family
pin points on the map
we can not please or be with them all
our words begin to hurt
voices rising
time to brush clenched teeth
sheets rustling
children whimpering
I say they peed
You say they’re fine
talking in circles we get no closer
upstairs the girls are wide legged frogs
dreaming soundly on wet lily pads
you carry them down and peel off the wet
then slide on the dry gowns
and lay them on our bed
I strip urine soaked sheets
breathe in a kiss of
damp hair on sweaty foreheads
we stake a claim
to either side of
these sleeping proofs of love made
washing machine fills and agitates
I ask if I can warm
my cold feet on you
and you say yes
 as always
our feet touch
I say
I love you
because
I do

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts